Monday, August 25, 2014

My Inspiration

I am always asked what the inspiration is for all my designs. I have been fascinated by the art of Russian pearl weaving ever since I was a child in Moscow. Through visiting many museums, my education and a deep interest, I have been able to hone my skill on the art of pearl weaving that was popular in the 17th & 18th century in Russia. I have collected many books on the subject, many in Russian and out of print and am more than happy to share my knowledge of Russian jewelry.

Russian jewelry from the 16th to 18th century was abundant with pearls as the rivers were filled with clams. There was such an abundance that even common peasant girls made pearl jewelry themsleves. From necklaces, clothing, church artifacts and  amazingly detailed and lavish kokoshniks, the intricate pearl weaving has always inspired me. Kokoshniks have always been a focal point of inspiration for me as there were many unique designs from region to region. A kokoshnik is a headdress worn by married women. As mentioned the styles varied greatly, embroidered with pearls, gold work, floral motifs and detailed with pearl drapes and netting over the forehead. I have amassed a beautiful collection of images that you can see on my pinterest.




 Unfortunately, no one understood how to cultivate clams and the rivers ran dry of pearls by the 19th century. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment